1. sezona – 1. epizoda – 26 minuta
Serbian Christmas Podcast for learning Serbian
“Božić u Srbiji danas”
So many memories, so many traditions… What we actually do for Christmas and what traditions we still keep in Serbia – that’s a burning topic in this time of the year. Because many traditions are dying away in the new age. In this Serbian Christmas podcast, I’m talking about what we did when I was a child and what traditions we still keep alive. I also explain the pagan symbolic behind some of the customs.
Some of the topics covered:
- old pagan practices kept until today,
- Serbian Christmas Eve and Christmas tree,
- what we did in my family when I was a child,
- and what we do now,
- typical food served on Christmas,
- fasting and non-fasting food…
This episode is best followed with some mulled wine or “šumadijski čaj” (boiled rakija) – a typical winter souldrink in Serbia.
Check out the Serbian vocabulary and expressions listed below that will help you understand more when you listen to this Serbian Christmas podcast episode.
Serbian Christmas Podcast Vocabulary
Nova godina (New Year)
Badnje veče (Christmas Eve)
post (lent, fast), postiti (to fast)
pravoslavac (orthodox man)
vernik, vernici (believer)
predak, preci (ancestor)
ćebe, prekrivač (blanket, cover)
jastuk (pillow), jastučić (cushion)
pribor za jelo (eating utensils)
opasač, kaiš (belt)
jelka (fir tree) Kitim jelku za Novu godinu. I ornament fir tree for New Year.
drvo (tree) Domaćin seče drvo. Head of the family cuts a tree.
hrast (oak) Hrast je sakralno drvo. Oak is a sacral tree.
grančica (little branch)
zrno (grain), zrnevlje (seeds)
orah, orasi (walnut)
Aspect Pairs of Verbs Used
razumevati razumevam – razumeti razumem (to understand)
vezivati vezujem – vezati vežem (to tie, bond)
seći sečem – iseći isečem (cut, cut off)
PITANJA – Questions About Your Christmas Traditions
Kako u tvojoj porodici slavite Božić (ili neki sličan praznik)? – How do you celebrate Christmas (or another similar holiday) in your family?
- Koji su vaši običaji pre Božića? – What are your costumes before Christmas?
- Šta radite na Badnje veče? – What do you do on Christmas Eve?
- Koju hranu spremate? – What food do you prepare?
- Koji su vaši rituali? – What are your rituals?
- Gde slavite Božić? – Where do you celebrate Christmas?
- Da li negde idete? Gde? – Do you go somewhere? Where?
- Da li imate goste? Koga? – Do you have guests? Whom?
- Koja je razlika između Nove Godine i Božića? – What’s the difference between New Year and Christmas?
- Kakve ukrase i dekoracije imate? – What ornaments and decorations do you have?
Meet The Host of the Serbian Christmas Podcast
Magdalena Petrovic Jelic
Dedicated Serbian language teacher with a mission to create the best place on the web for learning Serbian. Polyglot and perpetual language learner. True grammar lover. Mother of a 3 years old Viktor and tireless story-teller.
Posvećena profesorica srpskog jezika sa misijom da stvori najbolje mesto na internetu za učenje srpskog jezika. Poliglota i večiti učilac jezika. Iskreni ljubitelj gramatike. Majka trogodišnjeg Viktora i neumorni pripovedač.
1. sezona - 4. epizoda - 35 minuta Foreigners Speak Serbian #4 Corona in Serbia Interview with Dr Chiheb Guerfel Corona in Serbia 2020 is the main topic of this episode. This is the 4th episode in the "Foreigners Speak Serbian" series of my Serbian language podcast....
In this episode, I present you one of my most talented students, if not the most talented, Orel Belinson. How come this Israeli historian speaks Serbian so fluently? It’s only one of more than 10 languages he speaks. The two Serbian scripts, Cyrillic and Latin, are a piece of cake, compared to the scripts he reads.
Start Learning Serbian Today!
The sooner you start learning, the sooner you’ll start talking. Take action today! Choose one of our Serbian language courses or contact us with any question you might have.